Job Opportunity: Programme development worker: Food Rescue / Volunteer programme at The Hornbeam (Part Time)
Application Closing Date: Wednesday 28 October Noon
About The Hornbeam
A community organisation working with a range of partners in the London Borough of Waltham Forest.
We are organized in a flat, non-hierarchical structure and are all on equal pay. We believe in principles of solidarity not charity.
Please see the end of this document for our values, vision and mission.
About the role
We are looking for a programme development worker to join the Hornbeam team for a 6 month contract working across a variety of community projects with a focus on supporting our Food Rescue project by doing community outreach & mobilising work around food waste & tackling food poverty, as well as focusing on developing a formalised volunteering programme for The Hornbeam.
The Food Rescue project resides under our Low-Cost Living initiative, which seeks to engage people in activities that support reducing financial, health and environmental costs.
You’ll be joining a team of 5 staff with 2 people focused on food rescue work.
Currently, the Hornbeam is functioning as a Food Redistribution Centre in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, based on our pre-existing food rescue project. We are looking to transition out of this to develop our long-term plans we had built pre-Covid but make them applicable to a post-Covid situation.
The new programme development worker will be involved in supporting this transition with outreach work and bringing their own skills to share with the team to achieve this aim.
In addition, the new programme development worker will develop a sustainable and long-term volunteer programme for The Hornbeam. As an established community space, The Hornbeam has always attracted many individuals wanting to volunteer and we rely on volunteers for many of the projects we run. We are keen to develop this crucial aspect of The Hornbeam in a post-Covid scenario, building on a new found sense of community and mutual aid that has developed throughout the borough in response to COVID.
While this is a short-term contract, there is ample opportunity to develop this role further into a permanent one, dependent on successful fundraising. This role could be a short term piece of work or seen as a stepping stone for further work as part of the Hornbeam team.
3 days a week (21 hours), £13.50 per hour, for 6 months.
- Evolve & develop the volunteering programme at The Hornbeam for volunteering opportunities on site and with partner organisations.
- Conduct community outreach and mobilising work to help the food rescue team facilitate new food rescue projects around the borough, responding to community needs around food rescue & social isolation
- Assist in the day-to-day running of the food rescue project at The Hornbeam on Hoe Street.
- Assist in writing funding applications for Food Rescue and related projects
- Ensuring project outcomes are delivered and monitoring and evaluation requirements are met and fed back to funders (this role is funded out of a COVID-19 emergency response fund)
About the person we are looking for:
We are looking for someone who is passionate about community organizing, reducing our negative impact on the environment in a sustainable way and supporting people to get involved in social action benefiting the community.
- Experience in doing community outreach and mobilising work
- A track record in moving strategic ideas into operation
- Experience in volunteer management in a community setting and running or developing a volunteering programme
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to work independently while also involving and engaging staff, volunteers and beneficiaries where necessary
- Experience in fundraising work
- An innovative and flexible approach to work
- An understanding of working in a small community organisation where responsibility for the overall running of the organisation is shared collectively among staff and directors
- Knowledge of Waltham Forest and it’s diverse community
- Safeguarding knowledge
Salary: £24,570 pro-rata (£14,742 per annum) £13,50 ph
Mainly Based at: Hornbeam, 458 Hoe Street, London E17 9AH
Working Hours: 21 hours per week
Annual Leave: 28 days per year including bank holidays (pro-rata)
Contract: Fixed term six months in the first instance
Equal Opportunities: Hornbeam serves a diverse community and encourages applications from women, black and ethnic minorities, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ individuals so as to reflect the community we work in
Vision, Mission and Values
SPACE for communities to meet in E17 and E4, TIME and support to develop community initiatives, SKILLS and knowledge about low cost, low impact living.
Our Vision is of active communities where people have a positive impact on their environment.
Our Mission is to
● Inspire people to think about how we live our lives and use resources
● Empower community-led action and support new initiatives that lead to positive environ- mental and social change
Our values are what drive us and inform our way of working:
● We are inclusive and people-focused: we believe people of all backgrounds and abilities have a role in achieving a just future for all of us and our environment, and we engage with the concerns and passions of individuals & community groups.
● We are creative and collaborative: we believe that innovation will help us to achieve the change we want to see, and that by working alongside partners and local community groups we will make that change lasting.
● We are committed to the careful use of resources, both environmental and human.
● We are committed to being transparent in our governance and in how we communicate with partners and supporters
● We are committed to remaining relevant to our community and conscious of the priorities of the people we work with
Forward CV & a cover letter to email@example.com
Closing date for applications: Wednesday 28 October noon
Interview date 5 November
Work start date asap