* Plan a menu based on seasonal and local food,
* Make sure the kitchen is well run and meets food safety standards,
* Manage other kitchen workers (paid and volunteer),
* Be available for several shifts per week (initially during Wednesday to Saturday daytimes).
To carry out the role successfully you will need to be:
* Passionate about and skilled in cooking with fresh local seasonal produce,
* Able to organise and manage their own work, and cooperate effectively as part of a team,
* Committed to community action to change the unsustainable food system.
We are planning to open more regularly
The café is currently open from Wednesday to Saturday. We are planning to open more regularly, with the aim to:
* Offer brunch and lunch on Saturdays, when we are usually busiest,
* Have a simple lunch menu available every other day of the week,
* Be open for two evenings each week with music, comedy or other events, and a bar,
* Offer dinner once per month (more often if it works well),
* Continue to offer a catering service and promote it more broadly.
How to apply
If you are interested, contact Marlene by emailing cafe[at]hornbeam.org.uk with a brief (no more than 400 words) outline of why you are interested in this role, and what skills and experience you bring to it, and your contact details. We will have an initial phone conversation with suitable applicants, followed by a trial shift in the kitchen and fuller discussion.
The pay will initially be the London Living Wage (￡8.30 per hour).